Some of the treats I grew up with I have made Vegan and Gluten Free. I’m sharing my mom’s recipe re-done for Vegan Gluten Free Date Bars.
I just love these Date Bars and consider them a comfort food in addition to a dessert or snack. I use MedJool Dates because I think they have better flavor and texture. This recipe originally had finely ground nuts in the date filling, which you could add, but I prefer the filling just to have robust date flavor and not much else. I was so pleased to find Quinoa flour in our grocery store here in little Homer, AK! So I used that and sweet white Sorghum flour along with GF oats to make this. Enjoy!
Vegan Gluten Free Date Bars
- Blend with mixer the brown sugar, vanilla and coconut oil
- Add 1½ cups flour mixture ( any GF blend ) and 1½ cups GF oats
- This will be like crumbs. You do not want it to be a batter.
- In kettle on the stovetop add water and chopped dates. Cook over medium heat until thick. Use a hard spoon to mash the dates while they cook. Then add vanilla after the mixture has cooked and blend.
- Putting it all together:
- Put ½ the crumb crust mixture on the bottom of 8x8 greased pan. Firm the crumbs by patting with your fingers.
- Put all the date mixture on top of the crumbs spreading the mixture to the edges of the pan.
- Put the remaining ½ of the crumb mixture on top of the date filling.
- Bake and enjoy!
I love to bake in ceramic dishes. I use a ceramic 9×13 pan that is glazed on the outside so it looks pretty. I bake entrees and desserts in it. They bake up so well and don’t burn. You can get one on Amazon here: