Slow Cooker Navy Bean Soup
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free
I love a hearty easy meal! Soups and Stews are so great for winter months, so easy. Whether you call it a Crock-Pot or Slow Cooker it cooks the same way – EASY! I just love Navy Bean Soups! Here is a very easy one made with a slow cooker. It is gluten-free and dairy-free! If you do eat meat you could add sausage which would add a spicy flavor and extra heartiness. Enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion
- ½ lb. carrots
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 lb. dry navy beans (you do not need to soak these overnight)
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp Freshly cracked pepper
- 1½ tsp
- 6 cups of water or vegetable broth
- Start off by adding Navy Beans to a pot of water and boil for 10 minutes. ( doesn't matter how much water since you will be draining them and not using this water )
- While beans are boiling mince the garlic, dice the onion, slice the celery, and slice the carrots into thin rounds. Add olive oil, garlic, onion, celery, and carrots to a large slow cooker.
- Drain your beans and sort through the beans and remove any debris or stones. Give them a quick rinse and then add them to the slow cooker, along with the bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, paprika, and some freshly cracked pepper.
- Add six cups of water to the slow cooker stir carefully to combine the ingredients. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 8 hours on low or on high for 4-5 hours.
- After 8 hours, stir the soup and mash the beans slightly just to thicken up the soup to your desired consistency.
- You will need to add some salt at this point to make the flavors pop.
- Starting with just a ½ tsp, add salt to your liking. I used about 1 tsp total, but keep tasting and adding more, ½ tsp at a time, until it reaches the level that you prefer.
- Enjoy!! ☺